After watching this video I realize that the Mohawks did not start the violence, the provincial government did. One: They brought in tear gas when the Mohawks only built baracades, and Two: They called in the tanks because "They had to assume the protection of the people." As Bourassa said.
I don't think they did it to protect the people, but rather for themselves. The Mohawk people were not being violent so it was not necessary, the gvt. was probably just tired of the protests so they tried to scare the Mohawk into stopping with their tanks.
Since I have become more educated about the Oka Crisis and what caused it, I feel I can make the assumption that the Canadian Provincial government had a great deal to do with the escalation of the dispute that dated back to 1717 and involves both racism issues and land claims. I think the Provincial government caused the hostility to worsen because by bringing in the tanks, it was like they were fueling and anticpating chances of Mohawk attack. The Provincial government wanted to show dominance over the Mohawk people but at the same time, didn't want to deal with the fallout. The Provincial government was doing everything in favour of the Quebecois, I think, because they believed that the Quebecois were dominant over the Mohawk people and ultimately, I think they thought and anticipated the First Nation's to back down. In conclusion, I think the Canadian Provincial government was extremely biased in the way they dealt with the Mohawk's land claim by favouring the Quebecois' choices but at the same time, not wanting to take responsibility for the faults.
In my opinion, the provincial gov't always seems to be siding with the Quebecoise, no matter the reason the Mohawk have for wanting the land. I feel they are siding with the majority rather than the minority, and overeacting with their show of strength. Why was it necessary to bring in some tanks and the army over some barricades? It's as though the gov't was trying to anger the Mohawk and provoke them into violence. This way, the gov't would look like the good guys.
The land belonged to the First Nations first, so I would guess the reason that the gov't thought that the land didn't belong to the first nations was because of something that happened in the past, most likely a treaty they signed or something. But why would the gov't let the developers buy the land in the first place!!??? And, what made the gov't side with the developers rather than the first nations? Is there an element of racism here? I definitely think racism has something to do with it. Personally, I think the gov't is at fault here.
I think the provincial government was a big reason why things got so out of control. First of all, the military was called in only for the first nations putting up barracades. So in my opinion that really escalated the situation. And I also think that the government was being somewhat racist to the first nations by letting developers build over their burial grounds and not doing anything to stop developers from trying to build an 18 whole golf course.
The Candian government was unfair to the FN people, for in my opinion the land of Oka belongs to the Mohawks. They lived on that land before the Europeans came. I conclude that the Canadian gov't is protect the intersts of the prvincial gov't because they allowed all these weapons(tanks,etc)to being led in to the mohawks land. Also they sold the land to the developers. Did the gov't sold the land to make money or to make the Mohawks even more angry?
After watching this video I have noticed that the canadian government is doing everything that the Quebecoise want. They aren't paying any attention to the Mohawk. I think that this is happening because like we discused in class maybe the Canadian government it tired of listening to the Mohawk so they have just desided to ignore them. But really choosing to ignore the Canadian government isn't that smart, because the Mohawk have started to be violent to maybe try to get the governments attention. That is what I have learned so far and I can't wait to learn more.
After watching this video i realized that it was the provincial government who started the violence not the Mohawks. The Government was using weapons(tear gas, tanks...etc), while the Mohawk were only using barricades to protect themselves. I think that the government brought in the huge tanks to show that they had more power over the Mohawk. I also realized that the provincial government was doing everything in favour of the Quebecois, and ignoring the Mohawks. But this could have been because the government was fed up with the mohawks and were tired of doing things for them.
After watching this video i realized that it was the provincial government who started the violence not the Mohawk. The government were using weapons(tear gas, tanks...etc.), while the Mohawk only put up barricades to protect themselves.I think the government brought these huge tanks to show that they had more power over the Mohawk. I also realized that the provincial government was doing everything in favour of the quebecois and ignoring the Mohawk. But i believe the government ignored them because they were fed up with the mohawk and were tired of doing things for them.
I am surprised that the Quebecois don't realize the Mohawk people were in Canada before them. The first nations have always been a great part of our history so why did the Quebecois tell the first nations to "go back to where you came from"? I now understand that the provincial government was taking the Quebecois side in this resistance. However I still don't understand why the Mohawks were aloud to live there for an extremely long period of time and then just kicked off the land to make way for a golf course.
Through my point of view it seems to me like the government were the ones to start the violence. THEY WERE THE FIRST ONES TO USE WEAPONRY!!! To me it seems like the government were only protecting their own interests and not thinking of the Mohawk people's priorities.
Bourassa claims he is acting to protect everyone's interests yet he sends tanks into mohawk territory over a golf course. When he says "protect our people" I think he is referring to all Canadians but i think his true interests are the interests of the Quebecquois.
After watching this video i think the government were the ones to start using violence in this situation. By bringing in tanks only because the mohawks set up barracades. I too think the government were protecting their own interests. I think that the government is siding with the quebecquois because i couldn't find any information that lead me to believe that they were helping the mohawks. I also noticed that the government is ignoring the mohawks, which lead me to believe they were siding with the quebecquios.
the main reason for the tanks as far as i can tell is that the provincial police came in and one man was shot down. i believe that this started somewhat of a dominoes effect the barricades were put up the tanks came in and the two sides tried to out do each other in showing dominance. i think that the first nations tried to resolve this peacefully because as you can see they do not have a great big army to try and counter attack the Canadian army. i want to know why the native resistance was such a secret?
I agree with Andrea's opinion. It seems as though the Canadaian Government is provoking them (the Mohawk) to be violent, therefore making them (the canadian government) look like they had no part starting the violence.
Why was the native settlement such a problem? What have the Mohawk done that was so horribly wrong that had to create such a conflict? They had just settled in an area that had rightly belonged to them...causing no harm.
Bourassa says he is protecting everyones intrests, then he goes and sends military tanks to Mohawk territory. It seems as though Bourassa doesn't have any idea of who's side he is on- the Canadian government or the Quebecquios. He makes the Canadian government happy by what he says and the Quebecquios happy by his actions. The Canadian Government seems to be doing whatever the Quebecquios tell them to do, what's the cause of this?
After watching this video I realize that the Mohawks did not start the violence, the provincial government did. One: They brought in tear gas when the Mohawks only built baracades, and Two: They called in the tanks because "They had to assume the protection of the people." As Bourassa said.
ReplyDeleteI don't think they did it to protect the people, but rather for themselves. The Mohawk people were not being violent so it was not necessary, the gvt. was probably just tired of the protests so they tried to scare the Mohawk into stopping with their tanks.
Since I have become more educated about the Oka Crisis and what caused it, I feel I can make the assumption that the Canadian Provincial government had a great deal to do with the escalation of the dispute that dated back to 1717 and involves both racism issues and land claims.
ReplyDeleteI think the Provincial government caused the hostility to worsen because by bringing in the tanks, it was like they were fueling and anticpating chances of Mohawk attack. The Provincial government wanted to show dominance over the Mohawk people but at the same time, didn't want to deal with the fallout.
The Provincial government was doing everything in favour of the Quebecois, I think, because they believed that the Quebecois were dominant over the Mohawk people and ultimately, I think they thought and anticipated the First Nation's to back down.
In conclusion, I think the Canadian Provincial government was extremely biased in the way they dealt with the Mohawk's land claim by favouring the Quebecois' choices but at the same time, not wanting to take responsibility for the faults.
In my opinion, the provincial gov't always seems to be siding with the Quebecoise, no matter the reason the Mohawk have for wanting the land. I feel they are siding with the majority rather than the minority, and overeacting with their show of strength. Why was it necessary to bring in some tanks and the army over some barricades? It's as though the gov't was trying to anger the Mohawk and provoke them into violence. This way, the gov't would look like the good guys.
ReplyDelete- Andrea
The land belonged to the First Nations first, so I would guess the reason that the gov't thought that the land didn't belong to the first nations was because of something that happened in the past, most likely a treaty they signed or something. But why would the gov't let the developers buy the land in the first place!!??? And, what made the gov't side with the developers rather than the first nations? Is there an element of racism here? I definitely think racism has something to do with it. Personally, I think the gov't is at fault here.
ReplyDeleteAbbey
I think the provincial government was a big reason why things got so out of control. First of all, the military was called in only for the first nations putting up barracades. So in my opinion that really escalated the situation. And I also think that the government was being somewhat racist to the first nations by letting developers build over their burial grounds and not doing anything to stop developers from trying to build an 18 whole golf course.
ReplyDeleteThe Candian government was unfair to the FN people, for in my opinion the land of Oka belongs to the Mohawks. They lived on that land before the Europeans came. I conclude that the Canadian gov't is protect the intersts of the prvincial gov't because they allowed all these weapons(tanks,etc)to being led in to the mohawks land. Also they sold the land to the developers. Did the gov't sold the land to make money or to make the Mohawks even more angry?
ReplyDeleteAfter watching this video I have noticed that the canadian government is doing everything that the Quebecoise want. They aren't paying any attention to the Mohawk. I think that this is happening because like we discused in class maybe the Canadian government it tired of listening to the Mohawk so they have just desided to ignore them. But really choosing to ignore the Canadian government isn't that smart, because the Mohawk have started to be violent to maybe try to get the governments attention.
ReplyDeleteThat is what I have learned so far and I can't wait to learn more.
After watching this video i realized that it was the provincial government who started the violence not the Mohawks. The Government was using weapons(tear gas, tanks...etc), while the Mohawk were only using barricades to protect themselves. I think that the government brought in the huge tanks to show that they had more power over the Mohawk.
ReplyDeleteI also realized that the provincial government was doing everything in favour of the Quebecois, and ignoring the Mohawks. But this could have been because the government was fed up with the mohawks and were tired of doing things for them.
After watching this video i realized that it was the provincial government who started the violence not the Mohawk. The government were using weapons(tear gas, tanks...etc.), while the Mohawk only put up barricades to protect themselves.I think the government brought these huge tanks to show that they had more power over the Mohawk.
ReplyDeleteI also realized that the provincial government was doing everything in favour of the quebecois and ignoring the Mohawk. But i believe the government ignored them because they were fed up with the mohawk and were tired of doing things for them.
I am surprised that the Quebecois don't realize the Mohawk people were in Canada before them. The first nations have always been a great part of our history so why did the Quebecois tell the first nations to "go back to where you came from"? I now understand that the provincial government was taking the Quebecois side in this resistance. However I still don't understand why the Mohawks were aloud to live there for an extremely long period of time and then just kicked off the land to make way for a golf course.
ReplyDeleteThrough my point of view it seems to me like the government were the ones to start the violence. THEY WERE THE FIRST ONES TO USE WEAPONRY!!! To me it seems like the government were only protecting their own interests and not thinking of the Mohawk people's priorities.
ReplyDeleteBourassa claims he is acting to protect everyone's interests yet he sends tanks into mohawk territory over a golf course. When he says "protect our people" I think he is referring to all Canadians but i think his true interests are the interests of the Quebecquois.
After watching this video i think the government were the ones to start using violence in this situation. By bringing in tanks only because the mohawks set up barracades. I too think the government were protecting their own interests. I think that the government is siding with the quebecquois because i couldn't find any information that lead me to believe that they were helping the mohawks. I also noticed that the government is ignoring the mohawks, which lead me to believe they were siding with the quebecquios.
ReplyDeletethe main reason for the tanks as far as i can tell is that the provincial police came in and one man was shot down. i believe that this started somewhat of a dominoes effect the barricades were put up the tanks came in and the two sides tried to out do each other in showing dominance. i think that the first nations tried to resolve this peacefully because as you can see they do not have a great big army to try and counter attack the Canadian army. i want to know why the native resistance was such a secret?
ReplyDeleteAaron
I agree with Andrea's opinion. It seems as though the Canadaian Government is provoking them (the Mohawk) to be violent, therefore making them (the canadian government) look like they had no part starting the violence.
ReplyDeleteWhy was the native settlement such a problem?
What have the Mohawk done that was so horribly wrong that had to create such a conflict? They had just settled in an area that had rightly belonged to them...causing no harm.
Bourassa says he is protecting everyones intrests, then he goes and sends military tanks to Mohawk territory. It seems as though Bourassa doesn't have any idea of who's side he is on- the Canadian government or the Quebecquios. He makes the Canadian government happy by what he says and the Quebecquios happy by his actions. The Canadian Government seems to be doing whatever the Quebecquios tell them to do, what's the cause of this?
-Giordana